Monday, September 19, 2011

Makeup Monday- Barbie Inspired


Halloween is coming up, and coming up fast! Do you know what you're going to be? I decided it might be fun to do some character inspired make-up tutorials in the next month to get the ol' creative juices flowing and come up with some fabulous costume ideas!

Today's look is inspired by one of my very favorite childhood toys.... none other than Mattel's Barbie!




Here is my interpretation of a Barbie inspired look! 







Start out with your base- whatever foundation you normally use and some concealer over any dark circles or imperfections. (pssh, like you have any!)


Take a shimmery opalescent shadow (I'm using Loreal Hip powder shadow in Restless... such a pretty shade!) and apply it to your upper lid. I wet my brush before dipping it into the shadow because 1. There is a better color payoff and more intensity, and 2. The loose shadow doesn't go everywhere on my face except my eyes. 


I also took my angled brush and applied the same shadow to my inner corner and just a bit under the eye.


I took a pink shadow (I'm using a shadow in my Victoria's Secret Hidden Palace palette) and applied it to my crease and outer corner in sort of a C shape.


Take your fake eyelashes (Mine are Kiss brand, style #4) and apply a thin line of eyelash glue. Let it dry just a bit- wait until it's tacky, and then, using the applicator in the box or a pair of tweezers, carefully apply them starting from the inner corner of the eye to the outer corner. Press and hold them down for 10-15 seconds while they dry.
Try to apply them as close as you can to your natural lash line. This is tricky and takes practice, and I still haven't quite gotten it down perfectly!




Take a turquoise liner (I'm using CHEAPO Jordana brand... 99 cents!) and apply it right above your lashes. 


Check out this awesome liner I found at Walgreens today... turquoise glitter! And by now, you probably all know how I feel about all things glittery ;) 
This is Halloween liner by Wet n Wild called "Fantasy Makers" in the color "Magic". It's awesome and it is all I can do to keep from going back to the store to buy up the rest of the glitter liners. 


Apply your favorite mascara. Again, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Loreal Voluminous in Carbon Black. It is the greatest.


Line your waterline with a soft white eye pencil. This will give you a beautiful, wide-eyed doll look.



Swirl some pretty pink blush on the apples of your cheeks. Don't know how to find the right place to apply your blush? Smile big, and the parts of your cheeks that pop out the most are where you want to apply your blush. I also usually blend my blush upwards and outwards towards my temples. It's a cool slimming effect for girls with rounder faces like myself!


Apply some gorgeous hot pink lipstick, right out of the tube. Blot on a tissue and reapply for staying power. Blow yourself a kiss, Barbie would be proud!


And, you're done! As an afterthought, I added some highlighter (Benefit Moonbeam) straight down my nose, on my cupids bow, and on top of my cheekbones. I also added some lilac lipgloss for a little more shimmer and shine :)


What do you guys think? Am I doing Miss Babs justice with this tutorial? I'd LOVE to see your guys' interpretation of a Barbie look! Send em' in :D







Products

 Covergirl Classic Color Blush in Rose Silk
Eyelashes: Kiss double pack in #4
Benefit Highbeam
LashGrip eyelash adhesive
Rimmel soft kohl kajal eyeliner perncil in pure white
Wet n Wild Fantasy Makers glitter eyeliner in Magical
Loreal Hip eyeshadow in Restless
Jordana eye pencil in 41 turquoise
Victoria's Secret eye shadow palette in Hidden Palace in pink
Revlon Moon Drops lipstick in 590 Lilac Champagne
Revlon Colorburst lip gloss in 02 crystal lilac

7 comments:

  1. So fun! You did a great job!! That is such a perfect barbie look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only is this a good recreation, but it actually looks really good on you! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so beautiful! that thing you are doing in the first photo/gif - i love that while saying "boing boing" as if my eyelashes are so big they are bouncing. that's what it looks like you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the inspiration...seriously barbie is perfect all the way down to her makeup!

    nicely done :)
    -Ashley-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on this - it is very like Barbie, but without looking too OTT like some re-creations I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so creative! This is a very cool look. I might have to go get that glittery turquoise liner!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your feedback on my blog! I appreciate each and every one of your messages <3